Sunday, September 09, 2007

We've gone Green(er)!


My view on the environment is pretty clear - we need to make all efforts to reduce emissions and stop global warming.

We have been using low emission two stroke oil for some time - whilst more expensive I want to make whatever contribution I can to cutting back CO2 and pollution where ever possible.

This being the case, I have now changed over to Bio-diesel (B100). This is made of 100% recycled vegtable oil (chip fat oil) or Vegtable oils like Oil Seed Rape.

Like a lot of people, I was a little sceptical about what it would do to the Landrover and if I would have problems etc - my Landrover dealer didn't comment one way or the other - so I decided to take the plunge and come what may.

I first became aware of Enfuels in Thatcham at a network meeting when they visited my BNI Chapter in Newbury. I thought it was a good idea, but was a bit shocked by the price (very similar to fossil diesel) so didn't really want to take a chance on any vehicle issues. Since then, the cost differential has changed, but this really isn't my reason to change (but it helps).

As to performance, I think the B100 fuel is probably slightly better - I really notice when towing a large trailer loaded with gear. AS to overall economy, its about the same really - I was expecting an improvement but that hasn't really been noticed.

All I can say is, the rumours about the Landrover smelling of chip fat are unfounded and I am happy to be making a difference - the exhaust fumes are odour free and basically water vapour.

One thing I would like to see is our so called committed government making some kind of concession to those of us who want to change - supporting our farmers who produce rape seed oil as a diesel substitute and cut our tax bills - especially those of us who rely on 4WD vehicles - rather than load our taxes, lets see a rebate for green use!

For more info on Bio-diesel, click through to Enfuels

No comments: